Thursday, April 12, 2007

CANCER AND HOMOSEXUALITY

I had a joke that I tried out tonight- a joke that seemed BRILLIANT in my head but lost its flavor once I said it outloud.

Here's the joke:

When people find out i'm gay they ask me lots of questions- the same questions you would ask someone that just told you that they have cancer.

How long have you known?

Are you 100% sure?

Have you told your family yet?


THE END OF JOKE

Even writing that joke out makes me chuckle but alas I must lay it to rest. Maybe the joke doesn't work because we are a society full of cancer. I can't think of anyone I know that doesn't have or has known someone with cancer.
Or maybe the joke is like a nailfile to the teeth.

BRIDGET

3 comments:

GótiKa said...

i think it's a really good joke. i'm a lesbian and i have a lot of people in my family who had cancer including my mom and i totally give you props for that joke. it's hillarious.
i guess the main difference between the two is that if you tell someone you have cancer they will be super nice to you. if you tell them you're gay...not so much.
of course people can say that cancer can kill you and all that...but oh wait...being gay can get you killed too =X

TreeFeet said...

I think the joke is hilarious.

cunning linguist said...

I agree with the other comments. The joke is actually very clever.

The hitch is the reference to cancer, because dumb people just freak at the word.

I think the way around that problem is to refer to diseases of which no respectable white, middle class, straight person in the developed world now suffers. So, things like: dengue fever; sleeping sickness; syphilis; rickets; gingivitis; mediocrity; bad government; lack of rhythm; lack of the rhythm method; etc..