Thursday, March 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Barbie!

The one-and-only-body-to-die for Barbie doll is celebrating her 50th birthday. And DAMN she still looks good!

Barbie was created in 1959 when Ruth Handler noticed her daughter Barbara playing with paper dolls. Barbara was pretending they were grownup dolls rather than the baby dolls that were on the market. Ruth thought designing these Barbie grownup dolls would encourage little girls (and some fagtaboulous little boys) to focus on what they wanted to be when they grew up.

When I was a kid I had 20 Barbie dolls, 1 Derek doll (the brunette Ken) and a pink convertible corvette. Since there was only 1 Derek doll I would offer him up to my friends and instead took the corvette, load up 5 Barbies in the back seat and headed off to the imaginary beach. umm...who's gay?

My best friend Peri cut the hair off of one of the Barbies and made her an ailing scientist. Peri thought girls with short hair were smarter than girls with longer hair.

My Barbie had super long black hair and I named her Candy. I'm pretty sure Candy was a prostitute but I'm not one to gossip.

Here's are some of my favorite Barbies:

BARBIE IS 50!


barbie_09

barbie_12

barbie_20

barbie_18

5 comments:

Yvette Loera said...

I only had one Barbie in my life. One day she went missing and my mom said she had no idea where she was. A couple of months later I found her in my backyard with all her hair cut off. Turns out my ex best friend stole her, cut off her hair, then threw her back over the fence to my yard.

I was mad at that little bitch forever!

I never got another Barbie after that disturbing incident.

Anonymous said...

I've only ever had 1 barbie.My aunt bought me one of the spice girls dolls when i was like 7. Two months after i got it it went missing and a couple weeks later i found a barbie sized paper mache coffin in my sisters room -.-

Rociwi said...

I never had a Barbie!! But my sis had this huge collection of over a hundred and every time we played I was either Ken or would dress my Barbie in Ken's clothes xD

frenchykitten said...

never had one, but my sister had some and even ask my parents to paint our room in pink to match her barbie car and her barbie bicycle.
if i played with her i was putting barbie's head on ken body and dressed her with ken clothes and do the same with the barbie clothes to the other body, and more..

TheWeyrd1 said...

Seriously, I HATE to admit this, but I had two Barbie's and a Ken. I kind of ignored Ken though...who's gay...WE ARE! Anyway, the Blond Barbie had that hair you could "curl" and the Brunette was a talking Barbie (and Ken was too, but ya know, I didn't pull his string that much...heh).